I am an absolute sewing beginner but I really want to learn how to sew. My mom was so kind as to give me her sewing machine (thanks!) and this is the first project that I did with it. I checked out a few online tutorials (and found this one most helpful) but mostly just looked at other tote bags I have to see how they were made.
So here is the tutorial:
1. To start I used some fabric that came off the bottom of my IKEA curtains and used my own potato print DIY to print the bowler hats onto it. I let it dry and then ironed the fabric from both sides.
2. I reversed the fabric and sewed the outer edges together (not all the way to the top).
3. As you can see in the picture, I sewed the corners of the bag together to give it some volume.
4. I cut some green fabric to make it look like the bag is lined on the inside. To make it easier to sew it later, I ironed a crease into it. Then I pinned it to the bag.
5. Making the handles was pretty easy, I just cut two pieces of fabric, ironed the creases in and then sewed them together. The lines came out a bit uneven but I guess I just need lots of practice.
6. After turning the bag outside in (right side out?) I pinned the handles on the insides of the bag and sewed them on at the same time as the fake lining.
7. Turning the bag inside out again I just sewed the remaining piece of the edges together.
Do you know any easy beginners sewing projects that I could try?